Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Farnborough Hall 15 June 2011

Farnborough

in the county of Warwickshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The Meandering Lakelander Returns

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:45 on 11th September 2012
Full report of today to follow soon ladies. Just to get you in the right frame of mind......my feet were wet from 1030 til I got back to the cottage around 1830. I think it safe to say it has been a 'Lake District' daySmile and I wouldn't want it any other want it any other wayWink
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:41 on 11th September 2012

Right folks here we go, hope I get things right cos I'll be watching one of the best British films ever made in half an hour....Get Carter. For some reason I woke up somewhere around 3am and it was raining, managed to get back to sleep reasonably quickly and woke again at a more sensible 7am, which is a good hour later than I normally wake up! ! ! !. What a surprise it was still raining and quite heavily now so I thought another half hour snooze might be a nice idea. Woke up again....just before 9am.....can't remember when I was able to stay in bed as late as that......must have needed it is all I can say. Got up and had a quick wash and shave followed by a bowl of cereal and a mug of coffee. Had to go into the village for a couple of things and by the time I had splashed through a few puddles my feet were a bit damp so I made my decision to get a walk in somewhere regardless of the weather. The sun came out for a while so a trek up onto Loughrigg Fell to Lily Tarn was the initial aim and then to see what happens after that. On my way through the village I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was a heron standing very still, as they do, under a bridge that leads into Ambleside's main car park, so quite a busy and noisy place. Managed to grab a few frames and having had a quick look may have something worth uploading. By now it had started raining again so the waterproof jacket made it's first of many appearances. As I commenced the relatively short climb, compared with those of Sunday, I passed quite a few folk with the same idea as me but they were all sheltering under trees and by walls, which beat me as they were already wet anyway! The sun came out again for a while as I got towards the top of Todd Crag. Normally there are stunning views from up here but because of the weather it seemed decidedly average today. Spent an hour or so wandering around pointing the camera and pressing the button. It was very wet underfoot and tramping through wet waist high bracken was quite entertaining, especially as I was never too sue sure what I was gonna be stepping in……sheep roam freely upon these fells! ! ! ! !  As least with it being cool and wet I was fairly sure there would be no snakes at large! ! ! ! After an hour or so, and several rain showers later I finally stumbled across Lily Tarn and then somehow having misread my map I ended up back at Todd Crag, but as I had all day this was not a problem. Found somewhere to have my packup and started to think what I was gonna do next. Not too far to the main path across Loughrigg Fell so that was my next little trek, through the showers and sunny spells again, but what the hell, this is the Lake District. Got to the main track a bit quicker than I expected so as it was too early to go back to my cottage I headed out towards Loughrigg Tarn. The sun showed its face again for a time and with any luck I might have a decent shot or two of the Langdale Pikes. Do I go back the way I came or do I take the slightly longer route. Time was on my side as I only had myself to please so the longer route won hands down. After all my feet had been wet for 5 or 6 hours so a couple of hours more wet wouldn’t do them any harm. Half an hour or so later I was dropping down through some woods towards Loughrigg Terrace which descends down along side Grasmere and eventually leads to the path to Rydal Water. A bit more sunshine than rain now so the jacket was cosigned to the rucksack once again and stayed until I got back into Ambleside. I had already decided on Fish and Chips for my tea but a couple of well earned beers in the Golden Rule was in order first, getting a bit regular this but I am on holiday and it is the best pub in the village. An hour or so later I was back in the cottage, fish and chips duly devoured, a load of washing put in the washer followed by a nice hot shower. Stuff the boots with newspapers to try to dry them a bit although I do have a second pair available. But then again, if the day is wet, the boots are gonna get wet again so may as well use the same ones. No point in getting the dry ones wet for no reason. Then it was laptop on and transfer today’s photos and reformat the cards and finally get round to this. Weather forecast for Wednesday is not brilliant so have to see what meets me when I open the curtains in the morning. But I will be doing something somewhere along the line. Well the film has got about 40 minutes to go so am gonna sit back watch the end of it and then go to bed.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 00:33 on 13th September 2012
Quite a boring day today. Heavy rain on and off all morning so did a bit of tidying and a bit of catching up with internet ad suchlike. Finally cleared up about 2pm so out for a few hours around the village. Up through Skelghyl Woods to Jenkins Crag with some great views over Windermere.....maybe even something worth uploading. Wandered a little further up through the woods but turned back after a while as this track lead to a much longer walk out onto Wansfell and i was not really equipped for that today. Made my way back to the pierhead at Wateredge and spent halsf an hour or so there and then made my way down into the village. A look in a few of the outdoor shops...againand ended up in the Golden Rule....what a surprise I hear you say. Had a chat with the landlords wife for a few minutes than got chatting to a few old boys from Derbyshire who had been making regular visits to Ambleside for about 30 years! ! ! !  makes my 5 years seem pretty trivial. Left the pub about 6.30 and dropped my gear off at the cottage. Quick change out of mud splattered trousers and went back out to eat in the Unicorn but when I got there they were not serving food.......So went to a little restaurant, Ambles, nad had a 3 course meal for £18 which I don't think was too bad. That took 40 minutes or more then abck here, put a load in the washer and settled down for the evening. Forecast for the next couple of days looks reasonable so hopefully might get a couple of good days out. Possible the boat down Windermere followed by the steam train to Haverthwaite where the Anglers Arms does good lunches. The other possibility is a drive up to Gleridding and take the boat across Ullswater to Howtown and have a gentle stroll back to Glenridding along the shoreline. But it all depends on the weatherUndecided
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:38 on 13th September 2012
Well, today looks a bit better. No rain that I heard overnight and the roads and paths are all dry......something I haven't seen for a few days. So the plan is to drive over the Kirkstone Pass upto Glenridding and catch the boat across to Howtown and make the walk round the shore line back to Glenridding, about 6 miles I reckon. See what time it is when I get back there and decide what else to do......weather and wet feet permitting!!!!!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:32 on 13th September 2012

POE and the Golden Rule! Now that sounds about right to me Dave because you have the best of everything, don't you?

Despite the wet feet it sounds like you are enjoying being there. Not a place that we have visited, must put it on the bucket list.

Keep up the daily reports mate, interesting!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:25 on 13th September 2012

Nothing seems to put you off your meandering travels Dave.  Good on ya!!

I hope you had a good boat trip and hike today! 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:58 on 13th September 2012

Well the day turned out cool and wet again but I stuck to the plan. Had an enjoyable drive up 'The Struggle' a superb twisty road that leads up to the Kirkstone Inn at the topof Kirkstone Pass. Stopped for a few minute to try to get some decent photos but not holding my breath on that score. This was followed another amazing drive down the Kirkstone Pass towards Patterdale and finally Glenridding. Vince knows what I mean as he went down the same road a few days ago.... Parked the car and got my ticket. One way to Howtown. Half an hour later, 1120, the boat set sail and a further 35 minutes later I was getting off at Howtown, along with what seemed like half the rest of the assengers on the boat. The first half mile or so was like a procession, groups, couples, individuals and dogs, most heading in the same direction as me, back to Glenridding, although some had turned off and gone north to Pooley Bridge. The track was quite easy for an hour or so but then started to climb and descend but i have been getting quite used to that over the last few days!!! By now I had passed just about everyone  and was making good time. For all the weather was cool, breezy and wet it was quite warm walking and before long i could feel my shirt was very damp, but considering i had a fleece and a waterproof jacket on that was not really surprising. Not the sort of day for taking photos so the camera stayed secure and dry in the rucksack. About halfway round I passed two mountain bikers who were having extreme difficulties manhandling their bikes over the racky paths.....made more for walkers than bikers. Got back to the car around 2.30 and decided to come back to the cottage to change into a dry shirt as having taken the waterproof off i was feeling quite uncomfortable. The run back was the same as that going out but UP the Kirkstone Pass and i could not beleive my luck.....not one vehicle got in my ways and had a most exhillerating drive up the pass followed by a similarly fun drive DOWN the Struggle. Back in the cottage put a load of washing in the washer and about 3.30 took a walk into the village for a while before ending up most surprisingly in the Golden Rule again. There are 7 pubs in Ambleside but this is by far the best. Noo loud music, no television and no gambing machines, only customers who enjoy good beer and varied conversation without having to shout. Got chatting to a couple for a while and then around 6pm set off back to my home from home via the fish and chip shop. The washing was taken out of the washer and put in the dryer and left to run for an hour. Watched th Tout of Britain on the TV and then had a quick show. Got the laptop up and running, replied to a few e-mails, checked a couple of tother web sites then started putting this rubish together.Tomorrow's forecast looks favourable but so did todays, and i had the waterproof on most of the day. Got two potential plans one more susceptible to the weather than the other. Drive upto Grasmere and take the walk upto Easedale Tarn which will be strenuous and probably quite wet underfoot or take a boat trip from Ambleside down to Lakeside at the bottom end of Windermere and hoponto the steam train that goes through to Haverthwaite.

so will see what the weather is like not to mention how I feel, or more to the point how my legs feel!!!!! And I wouldn't be surprised if, at somwhere around 5-5.30pm I am in the Golden Rule again, for the last time this week

That's enough inane rambling for today. Just hope tomorrow gives me somthing worth scribbling for the last report of the week

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:43 on 14th September 2012
Unfortuately rain overnight again means I no real blockbuster of a finish. So my preferred jaunt for the day, up to Grasmere and walk uto easdlae Tarn was not even considered. The track can get quite nasty in the wet so better leave that one for another time.....sometime next year hopefully. That meant it was a quick stroll down to the pierhead, in drizzly rain i have to say, but there was no way I was gonna stay inon the last day of my week here. Could have got in the car and gone up to Keswick but the forcast was the same. So it was a trip on the lake from Ambleside to Bowness where I had to change boats for Lakeside. Had about 40 minutes to wait for the Lakeside boat so took a little stroll up into Bowness to pass the time. Got back down to the peirhead and took a few pics, which may or may not see the light of day. The place was a inundated with Chinese and several poked their cameras in my direction indicating they wanted me to take pics of them on their cameras......seems to have  been the trend this week. A few more showers on the leg down to Lakesdide where it was straight off the boat and hopon to the steam train waiting to take us to Haverthwaite. Decided to stay in Haverthwaite til the next train back so had about an hour to kill. The rain abated for a while so was able to point the camers at various railway and station things. Had I had a bit more time i would have taken a short walk down to the Anglers Arms in haverthwaite and had a pint. The return journey was just as uneventful apart from more rain and showers for most of the 2 hours. Straight back to my cottage about 4.30 took my boots off and on with the trainers. Had to go to the bank to get some money to pay for the cats holiday and as i was out thought i may as well stick with the weeks tradition and call into the Golden Rule for a last couple of pints for the week. A bit of enjoyable conversation with a few folks and then back here via the chinese take-away and start packing and tidying a bit. Just taking a little break to finish the weeks ramblings from the lake District and then get on with the fianl packing. So that dear folks concludes this weeks collection of inane and probably sometimes incomprehensible babblings. Next trip here not yet arranged as I have a few urgent matters to attend to at home over the next few months. Would like to try for a week just prior to Christmas as it is really nice and quiet here then. Other than that I am looking towards a possible week in April.....daffodils, bluebells and lambs all the things that this wonderful part of the country is renowned for. Also the chance of better weather, which will make a very welcome change.. That's it I'm off now.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:47 on 14th September 2012
Thanks for your ramblings and meanderings Dave and safe journey home again!
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:05 on 14th September 2012

Excuse barging in here but a drink in the I-Spy pub ( King's Arms ) is a good way to meet a fellow POE member, as Dave said we covered quite a bit of ground in an hour and a half and maybe put the world to rights. The Meanderer really does know his way around in this neck of the woods and it was great to hear of a lot of The Lake District that I knew I would never get to see. My family and myself were amazed at the scenery and that was pretty much at ground level and never too far from the road. I can only imagine ( apart from any pics to to uploaded ) on what Dave sees on his rambles .

I hope I have captured a few worthy shots and will upload my favourite ones in due course although I will have my work cut out against the work of Dave here. For our part a lot of our visits were based on Beatrix Potter areas, but for that Lake District wow factor Kirkstone Pass takes some beating, the road, the views, the WIND all made for a spectacular vista and it changed constantly with the sun , clouds and haze making for a different picture every five minutes.

An afternoon cruise on Windermere is also a great way to see the beauty of the area without any effort, wonderful trip around the northern area of Windermere ( and I did not call it a lake because it is not ). A little way south and Cartmel has a superb Priory and beautiful village worthy of a visit.

And so my first visit to the Lakes has come to an end but the journey home took in two nights stays , one in Wrexham and one at Ross on Wye to visit some special places to us that we have not managed to get to in the past ( pics on POE in due course here as well).

Well Dave , thank you for your company and our yarn, needless to say a few familiar names were mentioned and I look forward to your pics as and when they are posted ( ought to check, not looked at the last weeks pics at all yet) .  All the best to the Meanderer and safe drive home.