Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A Red Admiral

Whaley Bridge

in the county of Derbyshire

Mayfield Lavender

Mayfield

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A Little Bit Of Cornwall

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 07:05 on 9th August 2012
I've enjoyed the story and the exchange. Vince, are you up to this: becoming the official Ambassador of Cornwall to Europe and North America? I think a petition ought to be gotten up and taken right to the Crown. What'cha think? LOL.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:47 on 9th August 2012

Hi Linda-Mary,  I think you must be giving me ideas above my station here, it is all unofficial. In fact for a couple of years now our local radio station ( BBC Radio Surrey) had one presenter who called called me the " Occational Cornish Correspondant" when I kept on phoning in spouting Cornish phrases and subjects Cornish.

On a good note the coalition government here is having a few disputes amongst themselves and the issue of constituancy boundaries. If the boundaries were to be redrawn (for political purposes) it was suggested that one such constituancy would be covering an area part in Devon and part in Cornwall. OH WOE if this had happened, the needs of both Devon and Cornwall are so different and the heritages so far apart both were against "DevonWall". If I am not mistaken the Cornish Stannarry Parliament should still have some legal status albeit under the thumb of Westminster for centuries now.  Enough ramblings.   Gorhemmynnadow  an'gwel

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:44 on 10th August 2012
Now then Vince, no swearing on POE! lol
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 00:34 on 11th August 2012

Is Gorhemmynnadow an'gwel actually swearing in Cornish? I'll have to learn the phrase phonetically so I can use it here. Then the rotters won't know what I'm saying! Believe me all, we've got rotters over here every bit as bad as Westminster. We get political redistricting so a representative of a certain pol. party will be elected. That type of redistricting here is called Gerrymandering. Used to be illegal. But what is illegal now in the U.S.?

I think BBC Surrey should officially make you, Vince, their commentator from Cornwall. Then you could express the views of your people. You're right. Devon is definitely not Cornwall. I learned way back that Cornish folks didn't consider themselves part of England in the mid-nineteenth century so Cornish traditions and hiatory must be quite different than neighboring counties. 

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 00:59 on 11th August 2012

If I'm not mistaken, No. Ireland and Scotland have parliaments. Here 49 states have an assembly and a senate. Having those 2 is called bi-cameral. One state (Nebraska) is unicameral. Why can't Cornwall have its Stannarry Parliament? People here don't have to be concerned with their station in life to attempt to change things for the better. Yes, it's hard but Martin Luther King did it. Others have done it not only here but in Britain I'm sure. Didn't a Cornish miner rise up in behalf of his fellow miners and got their conditions changed?

I'm not advocating any rebellion. Rebellion leads to civil war as we here know all too well. Merely making real issues known is advocacy. Peace must be the first priority. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:40 on 11th August 2012

Sorry disappoint you folks but the phrase in question is far from swearing, it is also one of those that is tricky to translate but basically it translates as " greetings/commandments of the best kind"

I must point out Linda-Mary that I am not Cornish (other than by self adoption) and do not live there, I had an interest in the history of their industrial archeaology and that in turn led into their heritage.

I still enjoy a proper pasty mind you.

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:02 on 12th August 2012
Ya fooled me right and proper, Vince.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:13 on 12th August 2012

LOL@Linda-Mary>>> 'Is Gorhemmynnadow an'gwel actually swearing in Cornish?

Sorry Linda-Mary! I was joking!

PS: Answer to your question? Nothing yet...

Please login to post to this thread...