Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Threlkeld

Threlkeld

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

LAKELAND MEANDERING

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 19:14 on 8th July 2011
Went north again today to avoid the threat of rain and it was the right choice, Anne's decison again! ! !. Up to Keswick and down the west side of Derwentwater and over the Honister pass, up the steeper side, much to Anne's trepidation, although Honister is one of the 'easier' passes, over the top and down through the sweeping bends towards Buttermere. Lovely bit of road if you enjoy driving. Parked in the car park by the The Fish Inn. Bonus time here as the parking ticket machine was not working ! ! ! Took the anti-clockwise route, stopping about 1230 for half an hour to eat and drink and carried on back to the car, dropped the bags off and called into the Fish for a pint before heading back through the Newlands Valley to Keswick with the intention of going through to Bowness for an hour. I say 'intention' because as we were about halfway to Ambleside we hit a torrential downpour which lasted almost all the way home so our decision was that Bowness was to lose out on our company for today. After about 20 minutes the downpour had abated so we decided on a quick walk into the town where we spent 15 minutes in an outdoor clothing shop where Anne bought a couple of things, and what do you think met us as we came out of the shop......Sorry if you said sun you are way out.......rain again ! ! ! ! So back to the cottage put the oven on to use up some sausages and bacon, start packing and create this last update to my friends of our wet but thoroughly enjoyable week. Just seen the weather on the TV!!!!!!  That man must have something against me, he's telling me next week's gonna start off warm and sunny..... But not to worry only 8 weeks to go before we are back here again. So gonna make loads of plans to cover both wet and dry days. May have a walk to the pub later for an hour so this my last transmission for this week. Thankyou all for reading and responding, it has been an entertaining project to attack. I have thought of some sort of a diary before, but you lot at POE gave me a good reason to take it on and I hope you have enjoyed my daily inane rambling. Also thanks to all who have put such marvelous comments to the few piccies I have uploaded so far. Have also enjoyed the pics that you have transferred to some of the other forums, with brilliantly worded captions. You are a great shower and I will certainly try to entertain you again early September when we return. All being well I will have more time when we get home to upload loads more pics.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:29 on 8th July 2011
Thanks for your travelogue Dave.  It has been most entertaining and lovely to tie it up with the photos you have uploaded.  I look forward to seeing more when you have had to upload them.
Sparrow Demitriesse
Sparrow Demitriesse
quotePosted at 19:37 on 8th July 2011
Dave, I'm a little daft I gues but I can't figure out how to see your pictures from your trip.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:45 on 8th July 2011

See the note I left for you in your thread an American in England. 

Basically you go to "Latest Pictures" on the left column and browse through the latest uploads of pictures.  Those with Dave's name against them will probably be of his tour of the Lake District - he's added some really nice ones!  Enjoy!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:54 on 8th July 2011
Hi Laura, Cathy is right for the latest pics but if you go down to the green serach box at the bottom of this page and just type in   Dave John    making sure the POE button is highlighted (not Google) and the top option will take to my photo page. A lot from the Lakes as well a few other places. Hope you enjoy. 
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:14 on 8th July 2011
 End of Part One, well I for one look forward to Part Two, it's almost like going on holiday too! Dav,I have read with envy your daily ramblings and good on you for sharing with us all, will see the rest of your pics as they filter through to POE, thank you!
Sparrow Demitriesse
Sparrow Demitriesse
quotePosted at 20:29 on 8th July 2011

that's cool, I can just click on your name and then hit "latest" and it puts all of your latest pics together, that's what I was looking for.  Beautiful pics, Dave!  Rydal Water and Ambleside look amazing. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:46 on 8th July 2011

the lake district is a very popular place to go although it so close i have only been twice --i hear when it rains it really rains.

rather than open another thread i am going on my "meander" to-morrow and the forecast isnt too bright -i am going to austria to a small village in  niederau in the tirol region so i will see you all when i get back --the only sad thing is i wont be able to post my pics on here.Cry

Sparrow Demitriesse
Sparrow Demitriesse
quotePosted at 23:12 on 8th July 2011
austria in mountains, should be stunning, james. sounds lovely!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 23:18 on 8th July 2011
very nice laura its a lovely placeSmile