Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

High Street, Blakeney, Norfolk

Blakeney

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

Brook Cottage, Kedington, Suffolk

Kedington

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

LAKELAND MEANDERING

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:28 on 4th July 2011
Hey Vince, yes was a good day, busy with not a lot of travel. With you saying that was to be your area and we were close I thought let's give it a go. We were 6th or 7th in the queue but ofcourse we are just a bit prior to the main season.Still got hundreds of photos to look through. Anne got tarted up quicker than i expected, but according to the weatherman i might get a bit of time 2morra.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:54 on 5th July 2011

The White Lion won the vote for last nights meal. A superb mixed grill, with a Leek and Bacon sausage (a new one on me but really tasty) for me and steak and ale pie for Anne, along with a couple of beers. After that across the road for another beer in the Royal Oak

I HATE WEATHERMEN. They got it right.....The morning was OK but didn't too much as Anne had a touch of 'Delhi Belly' so spent the morning taking it easy. Gave me chance to piddle about trying to photograph bees in the garden along with a robin, several sparrows and a very tame thrush. Went for a gentle stroll round the town early afternoon popped into one of the many outdoor shops to price few things and when we came out it was raining, my t-shirt did not keep me very dry ! ! ! So went back to the cottage and sorted a few pictures which should be available very soon. Eased off around 6pm so I went out to get fish and chips for tea. On and off showers at the moment so we may get out for an hour or so. That's about it for today apart from sorting through about 300 pictures to find some for your pleasure (i hope ! ! !)

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:58 on 5th July 2011
Looking forward to seeing them Dave!  Sorry about the weather from your point of view, but if it wasn't raining we wouldn't be getting the photos, lol
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:17 on 5th July 2011
Hadn't thought of it that way!!!! I have to say though I was beginning to wonder when I was gonna have time to go through them all. Well it seems that we are not going out tonight, Anne has just had and sat in front of the TV in her dressing gown. So I can do a few more photos and make some tentative plans for tomorrow. We already have a 'Buffet and Jazz' cruise booked for the evening. One of the steam cruisers leaves Bowness at 7pm for a 2 1/2 hour trip around Lake Windermere with entertainment of a Jazz band. So at least we have something to look forward to. May be a good chance for some different photos if the weather is reasonable
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:15 on 6th July 2011

Just got in after the 'Buffet and Jazz' Cruise on Lake Windermere, thouroughly enjoyable and well worth the money. Something we will almostcertainly do again next year.  Set off at 7pm in lovely warm sunshine, didn't last long though, within half an hour the rain came back and was on and off for the next 2 hours. The intention was to have a couple of beers then get the last bus home at 1030. Common sense prevailed and a taxi got us home. Apart from that the day was generally poor. Rain most of the morning so we we just had a drive up past Ullswater and a short walk and a drink in Pooley Bridge. Following which we headed towards Keswick and dropped down to Grasmere and as the sun had decided to show its face we stopped off and had a short walk down to Rydal Water and along to the bottom end of Grasmere. So just hoping that the weatherman is gonna give us some good news for tomorrow, but I ain't gonna hold my breath. May get chance to sort through some more piccies

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 19:28 on 7th July 2011

Weather aside Dave it sounds as though you are enjoying the holiday, and just to get away from the daily grind is priceless, enjoy the rest of your break, lucky lucky you.

Looking forward to more of your updates and your wonderful pics.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:04 on 7th July 2011

You are so right Karen, it's the getting away that matters. Good weather is preferable but not the be all and end all. And as I have always said you need a bit of rain the see the Lake District at it's best. Not necessarily as much as we have had this week however.But we always enjoy our holidays here it's so quiet and peaceful.

Today carried on from last night, heavy showers on and off all night and through the morning. Decided to drive up to Maryport, not strictly Lake District but still Cumbria. Beautiful day there, warm sun and blue skies with a bit of a breeze. Cracking lunch in the Lifeboat Inn about 2.30, well worth a visit if any of you are ever in the area. Best chicken and ham pie I think I have ever had. Then wandered upto Silloth across to Wigton, down the east side of Bassenthwaite into Keswick and spent an hour on Derwentwater by the landing stages and down to Friars Crag. With any luck may have a couple of decent piccies for your pleasure.....when I can find the time to look through them Left Keswick and took the back road round Thirlmere on route back to Ambleside. Beautiful here at the moment so might have a stroll into the town for a couple of beers. Haven't seen the weatherman yet, but don't really want to hear what he has to say. He's really brassed me off this week. Everytime he's said it will rain, it has ! ! ! ! If he said it was gonna be sunny I wonder if it would be ??? Why doesn't he try it??? No plans yet for Friday, but will do something as we have to go home on Saturday. But that is not quite as bad as it seems as we are back again early September. Going for a walk now, might get a few piccies sorted later.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:58 on 7th July 2011
      Great stuff Dave, glad you are still enjoying the Lakes and spirits are not dampened, we will avoid talking about weathermen (or weatherladies) for the foreseeable future. It must be a real treat to be so impressed when you find that special meal. Hope whatever Friday brings you both have a great day.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:32 on 8th July 2011

Rain = Green and Pleasant  8-)

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 11:31 on 8th July 2011
Whatever the weather today, have a lovely one