Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Ingham

Ingham

in the county of Lincolnshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Postcards from England ( London - 16/04/10 )

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 09:54 on 7th October 2010

Welcome to London Town ( 16/04/10 )

Living in Windsor, I have been to London hundreds of times but guess what, just like a Villager, I have my boundaries and only go to certain places over and over again and often neglecting others.

On this very windy and rather chilly day of mid-April, I was meeting my Friend Christine whom I had not seen in a while and we decided to spend the day gallivanting around London. Unlike myself who like a certain level of comfort when I travel, Christine is a true Explorer with a keen interest in countries which are yet to be discovered and her trips around the world took her from Siberia to Ethiopia, Yemen to Afghanistan. Needless to say that she loves walking and so do I so we made a quite energetic pair in London that day.

We met at the Opera House and walked to Covent Gardens which are a place I love to visit and revisit and which are celebrating their 200 anniversary this year ! This a vibrant place where there is always something happening and that day was no exception.

We then walk all the way to Westminster where we intended to take our first boat ride in years ! Isn't this a shame going to London at least 3 times a week and never have taken a boat ride Tongue out

As we were approaching the Thames, the wind got very intense and rather chilly so we opted for a spot of lunch before embarking on a mini cruise that would be by all means "refreshing" to say the least !

We found an old pub near Whitehall where we enjoyed a heartwarming hot meal with a pint of Guinness for me and Cider for Christine.

Revived by this collation, we embarked on the sight seeing boat and courageously went onto the top deck. The cruise took us from Westminster Pier to Tower Bridge passing by the Tower of London and with a good view of the London Eye, the Tate Gallery, and so on.

I was especially attracted to the London Bridge which truly is a sight when approached by the river.

We then walked by Westminster and Big Ben until we reached the delightful St James Park which took us to Buckingham Palace Road and Green Park, Jermyn St and then Picadilly St which was our destination for afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason.

Fortnum & Mason has been my favorite place for afternoon tea for years for its unique old world charm, charming etiquette and delightful cakes and ice creams.

Needless to say that after braving all day winds which would not have been out of place in Mary Poppins and walking miles upon miles, sitting down in front of pot of Orange Pekoe was pure heaven Wink

Here are a few pictures of our day in windy London, a great moment to remember for me and Christine !

The always vibrant Covent Gardens

The ever vibrant Covent Garden - Part 1
Picture by karim cheikh

The ever vibrant Covent Garden - Part 2
Picture by karim cheikh

The ever vibrant Covent Garden - Part 3
Picture by karim cheikh

Westminster Cathedral

Westminster Cathedral
Picture by karim cheikh

The One & Only Big Ben !

The one and only Big Ben !
Picture by karim cheikh

A very welcome spot of lunch in Whitehall

Spot of lunch in Whitehall
Picture by karim cheikh

Approaching London Bridge in one of the coldest wind I have experienced so far...brrrrrr

London Bridge viewed from the Thames - Part 1
Picture by karim cheikh

The Iconic London Bridge

London Bridge viewed from the Thames - Part 2
Picture by karim cheikh

London Bridge viewed from the Thames - Part 3
Picture by karim cheikh

London Bridge viewed from the Thames - Part 4
Picture by karim cheikh

The delightful St James Park

St James Park - Spring 2010
Picture by karim cheikh

So very "British" !

So typically British !
Picture by karim cheikh

Pure indulgence or a "few grams of finesse in a world of brutes" ... afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason. My face says it all ! Smile

A few grams of finesse in a world of brutes.
Picture by karim cheikh

A few grams of finesse in a world of brutes
Picture by karim cheikh

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:38 on 7th October 2010
Sure looks like you enjoyed London Karim!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...