Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Matlock Bath, Derbyshire

Matlock Bath

in the county of Derbyshire

Close up of Fointain at Abbey front, Stapehill

Stapehill

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Help with English place names

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 00:59 on 13th August 2010

Would someone help me with the following terms?  beck, combe, dale, a water (reservoir?).

I may have a few more later on.  Thanks to any one of you who may help me.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:14 on 18th August 2010

Hi Linda!  I don't believe we've met.  I'm also from the USA - Virginia.  Welcome to POE!  In answer to your questions (according to my dictionary):

A beck is a small stream. 

Combe - a short valley or hollow on a hillside or coastline, especially in southern England.
Dale - a an open river valley in a hilly area.
Please correct me, English POE-ers, if I'm wrong.
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:15 on 18th August 2010
I have a question now.  How does one pronounce the word "Guiting" as in the village of Guiting Power, and what does it mean?
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:42 on 18th August 2010
i would pronounce it gitting hence silent  "u "
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:47 on 18th August 2010
Ah, I see.  Thanks James!
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 10:28 on 19th August 2010

Thanks Barbara.  When I was over in Britain I spent the majority of my time in the north of England, most especially in York and environs.  But I never saw the Yorkshire dales.  The moors, yes.  I was mainly in what was the East Riding of Yorkshire.  But climbing up a hill in Scarborough I did see Charlotte Bronte's gravesite in a modest little churchyard.  Wow.  Impressed me.  Also had the best fish & chips ever in Scarborough.

James, about your hat in your other pic.  By jaunty I meant it made you look debonair and devil-may-care.  I'm not sure jaunty means the same thing in UK.  Does it?

Barbara, Virginia has to be one of the most beautiful states in the union.  I am a native Californian.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:35 on 19th August 2010
for you linda i will put it back on.
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 14:58 on 19th August 2010

Thanks, Linda.  I agree about Virginia's beauty, although living in northern Virginia (basically a huge suburb of Washington, DC) one has to drive out into the countryside a bit to get a real picture of the beauty by getting away from the traffic and congestion.

I've visited California a couple of times (San Diego, San Francisco) and very much enjoyed it. It too has a beauty all its own, and it's wonderful to be near the ocean.

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 11:01 on 21st August 2010

Well, thank you very much indeed, James.  Love that pic.  I really must upload my pic (such as it is).  Got to figure out how to do it on POE.

Thanks, Barbara.  Yes, San Francisco & San Diego are perfectly lovely.  Gets cold in the summer in San Francisco.  San Diego is reputed to have the best weather in the world.  Where I grew up we had perfect weather also.  That was Costa Mesa, 35 miles south of LA & 15 miles south of Disneyland.  Too many people there now--very overcrowded in South Orange County & very expensive, also.  Have you ever been to far western Virginia?  You have to see Fancy Gap & Narrows, VA.

Sue Tym
Sue Tym
quotePosted at 05:56 on 17th October 2012

the pronounciation of Guiting Power is child's play compared to the little village where I grew up

LYMPNE

Try that for size! Nothing in the British Isles is pronounced as it is spelt, and it confuses the hell out of my American daughter-in-law