Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The museum at Berkswell, Warwickshire

Berkswell

in the county of West Midlands

HMS Victory in Royal Naval Museum in Portsmouth, Hampshire

Portsmouth

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

How many Kings & Queens have ruled England and when did they reign?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:54 on 12th May 2010
Can anyone list the Kings & Queens of England and the dates they ruled the Country?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 08:40 on 12th May 2010

Not sure if you've asked the right question Cathy as to where we should start? Some might start with King Alfred The Great, King of Wessex or perhaps his grandson King Athelstan who ruled 924-939 and proclaimed himself King of all Britain. He's buried in Malmesbury Abbey.

There's those who rule was very short lived; Henry 1st daughter Princess Matilda/Maud who became Queen but for a very short time before Henry's nephew Stephen decided he should be king. Civil war ensued; she fled to France; Stephen became King but died after a short reign, and exiled Queen Matilda's son born in France, returned to England to claim the throne as Henry II. And surely we have to include some Scottish ones as well. Wasn't it James VI of Scotland who became James 1st of England? I think you're going to end up with a very long list, but what starting point shall we choose?

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th May 2010 09:54
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:54 on 12th May 2010
To date during the reign of the present Queen we have had 19 Prime Ministers (and Ive seen them all) plus 2 halves just 'elected' D&D (Dumb and Dumber?), David Cameron & David Clegg
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:14 on 12th May 2010
Lets not forget Queen Boadicea (can be spelt a few different ways), Queen of the Brittonic Icini Tribe. She led an uprising against the Roman occupants, 
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:17 on 12th May 2010

And archaeologists headed by Reading University recently said they believe there is a strong possibility that Boadicea fought the Romans at Silchester, Hampshire, during their long-term study of the site.

Silchester, Hampshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/berkshire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8646000/8646066.stm

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th May 2010 17:22
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:30 on 12th May 2010

From the list I calculate there have been 57 male monarchs (Kings) and 8 female monarchs (Queens) + Boadicea (female) over a period of approximately 1208 years.

Can anyone confirm this?

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:00 on 12th May 2010
Well, if you include Viking kings, the list will be longer still. They had controlled much of England excluding Wessex ( West Saxons) and eventually defeated by Alfred The Great. But, as can be seen in the above list, in 1016 Anglo-Saxon ( House of Wessex) rule collapsed with another Danish invasion and the establishment of a new Danish kingdom in England.
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 13:37 on 13th May 2010
Here is a full list of Kings and Queens of England. It lists the dates they reigned and other information.
 Please login to post to this thread...