Colchester

a Historic City in the county of Essex

Salford, Manchester

Salford

in the county of Greater Manchester

PEEBLES - SCOTTISH BORDERS

Peebles

in the county of Borders

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Question about 'class' in 30s and 40s

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 15:50 on 11th March 2010

Any historians out there? ;-)

OK, like I stated in my intro I am writing a book set in Suffolk in 1940/1941. I know that around that time the rigid 'class system' was starting to loosen, so to speak.

If a family --let's just call them Smith--was very wealthy, but the wealth was from trade or business, the 'nobility' would not accept them because they didn't come from a prestigious family, right? The Smiths would be 'new money' and therefore looked down upon? Or at least not included into the upper class?

Would a DCI be a prominent figure in a small town? Would he be well respected? He would be considered middle class, right? If his daughter was to marry into the Smith family would that be advantageous?

Thanks in advance for any help.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 20:05 on 11th March 2010

What is a DCI, Lara?

a 'typical' suffolk village in wartime England would probly consist of a small communty bonded together in the war effort. You almost certainly would have a local vicar and his wife living in the Vicarage, attached to the village church, he may have a 20 year old daughter living (possibly the village shoolmisstress) at home and posibly a son serving as a pilot or army officer somewhere in the war.They would be classed as 'Middle-class' (The religion  most likly to be C of E)

The village would have a respected 'village 'bobby' (policeman) possibly in his 50's living with his wife in a cottage that may double as a police station.

There may have been a local Blacksmith, (working class)

A pub run by a semi-retired middle-class couple

A grocers shop posibly doubling as a Post office .and a uniformed postman delivering letters (daily) or telegram. the post mistress would possibly be ex-civil service type.

There may be a 'Large house' Hall, or Mansion posibly with staff on the outskirts of the village The occupier would probly be some form of Gentry or high ranking retired civil servant and considered 'upper class'  The staff would be working class but the housekeeper or head butler would be retired 'middle' class . The so-called 'Gentry' would probly have studed at Oxford and Eton (not Cambridge) and looked down on others, mixing only with their own kind.

Farms and farmland (with 'landgirls etc) would surround the village.

A 'commitee' of selected well intetioned 'busybodies' would meet in the 'village hall'.  to discuss local issues and the war effort, and arrange flowers, apple-pies, fruit-jam and, the weekly village dance.

As this was Suffolk, a couple of Royal Air Force basis, possibly manned by visiting foriegn allied airmen would lie close by. The airmen possibly visiting the dance on Saturday nights. Dont forget that if the scene is placed in mid summertime, the sun does'nt set till after 10pm. if it is set at harvest time (early Aug/Sept) Haymaking would be taking place (plenty of rolling around in the grass lol)

HOPE THIS HELPS TO SET THE SCENE, Mike Smile

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 20:32 on 11th March 2010

this is a typical Suffolk village, named Dalham (see other pics of this village by clicking on 'counties, 'Suffolk' then 'Dalam' picture tour

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:38 on 11th March 2010
good post mike you just beat me to itSmile
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 22:00 on 11th March 2010

My family are all Suffolk, quite a good write-up Mike but the maids used to mainly live in the attics or the basements of the big houses.I lived in a farm house and you have brought back so many happy memories. The tradesmen, butcher, baker, postmen etc never in a hurry, all friends who would stop for a cuppa, walking 4 miles to school, so different today

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:15 on 11th March 2010

i have never been down that area of england ihave always loved the north but last year i ventured down to cornwall and really enjoyed it i am going to torquay for easter for 5 days and then in june/july we are away again dont know where yet,i fancy croatia but the mrs wants to go to spain but its far too hot for me there.

fancy coming pegWink 

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 04:49 on 12th March 2010
On 11th March 2010 20:05, lancashirelove wrote:

What is a DCI, Lara

As this was Suffolk, a couple of Royal Air Force basis, possibly manned by visiting foriegn allied airmen would lie close by. The airmen possibly visiting the dance on Saturday nights. Dont forget that if the scene is placed in mid summertime, the sun does'nt set till after 10pm. if it is set at harvest time (early Aug/Sept) Haymaking would be taking place (plenty of rolling around in the grass lol)

Wow! What a response! Thank you.

A DCI  is a Detective Chief Inspector -that's English. 8-) But I guess Suffolk is rural enough that a local bobby would be more probable. I guess I was thinking DCI Foyle (Foyle's War) that lived in Hastings but was involved in cases all around that area.

At first I thought the father would be a greengrocer, but thenI thought policeman would be better.  I could have him be a local vicar..but i was thinking grandfather...There is so much to consider.  

Since most of my book will involve RAF Martlesham Heath, the village or town the other characters live in would most likely be Woodbridge, because Martlesham is so small. And in a time w/o highways and fast cars places like Felixstowe or Bury St Edmunds or Framlingham would be too far away.  Of course there are many small villages but I can't find enough info about them.

Anyway... thanks again. And thanks about the tip about rolling around in the hay (hahaha!)

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 04:52 on 12th March 2010
On 11th March 2010 22:15, james prescott wrote:

we are away again dont know where yet,i fancy croatia but the mrs wants to go to spain but its far too hot for me there

My brother-in-law lived in Slovenia for 3 years and he and his family vacationed in Croatia and looked great! And if you want to talk about heat you need to visit Las Vegas in the summer! ha!

Edited by: Lara Zielinski-Branks at:12th March 2010 05:31
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 05:01 on 12th March 2010
On 11th March 2010 22:00, Peggy Cannell wrote:

My family are all Suffolk, quite a good write-up Mike but the maids used to mainly live in the attics or the basements of the big houses.I lived in a farm house and you have brought back so many happy memories. The tradesmen, butcher, baker, postmen etc never in a hurry, all friends who would stop for a cuppa, walking 4 miles to school, so different today

Hi, Peggy! Since you are a Suffolk native can you think of a village/town near Martlesham Heath that would work?
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:02 on 12th March 2010

hi, again. thanks for that. if you can watch some of the british TV crime series such as Miss Marple or Midsommer Murders, they will give you some idea of the settings. also possibly 'Dads Army' (google them on ebay)

You may find that a 'greengrocer' may not have been in the village, as  being war-time country villagers would be encouraged to 'grow their own' veg or get the veg from the local farmer. Dont forget the friendly milkman who delevers a glass-bottled pint of milk to the doorstep every morning, lol

remember also that  fuel (petrol) was on 'ration' so not too many private cars around, those that were, were probly VIP's or wealthy, the dashing spitfire pilot would probly drive an open top MG sports car of the period, lol.  Highways such as motorways (Freeways) had not been built at that time so most roads would be hard surfaced (tar Macadam) roads, sometimes single track lanes in the countryside. Remember too that most village people spoke with a Queens English accent (no four letter words, lol), they wrote letters and apart from the wealthy, or business users the only telephone would be situated in a red telephone box in the village. Dont forget also that during war time in the dark, no lights would be visible ('blackout', to avoide enemy aircraft targeting') .     

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >