Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

My Favorite British TV Shows

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:54 on 31st October 2010
On 12th September 2010 17:58, james prescott wrote:
i never watch the stuff for me its just bad acting and no scripts -------give me phil silvers show anyday and a few good westerns.

I used to enjoy Sgt Bilko and his motor pool guys at Fort Baxter, Kansas and another variation on a theme, McHale's Navy ( Ernest Borgnine) and his crew of PT 73 on the fictional Pacific island of Taratupa. Smile
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:26 on 1st November 2010

I remember McHale's Navy, Paul -great show.

Masterpiece Mystery has just stated airing "Sherlock".  It's pretty good, a young Sherlock Holmes set in present day London.  I like it, but it's too much like all the modern crime drama stuff, but very cleverly photographed.  I prefer the Victorian Holmes.

I was pleasantly suprised to see our local PBS station has a new line up for Thursday nights.  We've only had Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By, Last of the Summer Wine and Waiting for God as our line up of British shows on Saturday nights.  They've been airing forever, so suffice it to say, I've seen all of their episodes several times.  But now on Thursdays we have Doc Martin, followed by New Tricks and then Lark Rise to Candleford.  I'm thrilled!  Watching Doc Martin is like surfing through Cornish scenery on POE.

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 19:08 on 1st November 2010

I agree, Ruth.  I also prefer the Victorian Holmes (particularly, Jeremy Brett with Edward Hardwicke as Watson).  But I do like Benedict Cumberbatch (what a great name!) as the modern day Sherlock.  I thought the first episode was better than the second.  Perhaps the novelty wore off? 

Isn't Doc Martin a hoot?  He always seems so discomfited no matter what the circumstances.  But the scenery is to die for.  We also get New Tricks which I love.  We had Lark Rise to Candleford last year and I devoured every episode.  Wonderful.

I've  just discovered Law & Order UK.  Same great show as here but with the added pleasure of the courtroom scenes with the robes and wigs and all.

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:39 on 17th June 2011

I've just discovered Inspector George Gently!! I really love this series! I have been a big fan of Martin Shaw so finding this is such a bonus!

It's on Netflix to watch online if anyone wants to watch!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:57 on 17th June 2011
Anna loved it too Krissy. Great series she reckoned...

quote | editPosted at 21:38 on 17th June 2011
Watching the shopping channels requires great intelligence and an enquiring mind,  I keep thinking "why does anyone buy this junk ? " !
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 19:09 on 18th June 2011

Monarch of the Glen is another of my favorite British sitcoms. And, although it's not a series I really enjoyed David Suchet on the Orient Express. He seems such a genuinely lovely man.

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:36 on 15th August 2011
I've just discovered another wonderful British television programme (thanks to Netflix) - "Kingdom".  Charming, quirky dramedy starring Stephen Fry and Celia Imrie.  Delightful.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 17:26 on 20th August 2011
I just saw a lovely little series called "Wild at Heart" about a British family who move to Africa and start a wild life reserve. It's wonderful! Sadly, they only got the rights to show the first season in the states and now I am dying to see the rest of the series. :-(
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5