Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Mow Cop at sunset

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

Lake Rudyard, Nr Leek, Staffordshire

Rudyard

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Formula One Theme Tunes

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:44 on 10th May 2008
As the BBC appears to be taking over showing F1 racing next year, will we yet again get to hear Fleetwood Mac's The Chain as their theme music, or perhaps a new theme tune? But, does anyone recall the name of the song the BBC long used prior to adopting John McVie's bass riff to start the show off in later years?  Also, perhaps you might have a better song they might use next year you'd prefer to hear an instrumental version of?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 10:22 on 10th May 2008
Apologies---the song prior to The Chain well pre-dates the BBC coverage from 1996, so must have been used in earlier ITV coverage days. The song reached number 11 in the UK in Feb. 1987 in it's own right. Guess I must have been watching F1 for several laps more than I'd realized!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:10 on 10th May 2008

F1...you're driving me nuts Paul!

I for one don't know, and wouldn't cheat like some by looking it up. I await your answer in due course.

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:07 on 11th May 2008

Thinking way back to those earlier years, the song I was thinking of used by the BBC which also regularly appeared, unless I'm very much mistaken, was to introduce a segment of their F1 racing coverage was "Sonic Boom Boy" by Westworld.

The BBC's version of The Chain was given the inspired name of "Motor Sport" which I'm sure we'll hear again in 2009.

But, which town has the distinction of hosting Britain's first Grand Prix and what year was it? There's a plaque on the sea front to commemorate this first international car race on our shores---which was right next to the course, as it happens.

So, which town's seafront were they racing along, and the British entry lost to another country's faster car?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:07 on 11th May 2008

Paul, I think probably Brighton, and Germany (Mercedes) for the faster car!

C'mon you POE anoraks, whats the answer to this question?

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 10:01 on 11th May 2008
I dont know. The only sport I watch is snooker and sometimes bowls. They are fast enough for me. Lol
L
L
quotePosted at 10:13 on 11th May 2008
The only information I can find is it was held in 1950 or 51  at silverstone, but thats not on the coast.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 12:07 on 11th May 2008

Sorry Lyn, a little misleading perhaps----for in May 1902 a large gathering of international racers in Grand Prix style, arrived at Bexhill-on-Sea to hold Britain's first motor car race on the sea front. Ultimately, the race was won by celebrated French racing motorist, Leon Serpollet in his steam car, reaching a top speed of 54 MPH. The speed limit on England's roads was 12 MPH at the time.  A Mercedes was indeed entered Ron, and noted racer S.F. Edge turned up with his Napier.

Thus I must congradulate Ron for having a good close guess, and also to Lyn for pointing out the more modern origins of today's Grand Prix that continues the intermational racing that the people of Bexhill, East Sussex had witnessed in Britian for the first time in 1902.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:31 on 11th May 2008
Good stuff, thanks Paul!
 Please login to post to this thread...