Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The harbour on Holy Island

Holy Island

in the county of Northumberland

Fleetwood Outlet Village, Fleetwood in Lancashire.

Fleetwood

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Upstairs Downstairs

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 10:28 on 13th May 2008
Talking about Tenko. I had a mate, on London Transport, who was a prisoner in a Japanese POW camp. He managed to sit out the war in his hut. Because he was Wesh, he never spoke english, He spoke welsh for the duration of his captivity. The Japs had no welsh translators, so the left him alone in his hut. He couldndt even talk to the other prisoners, for fear the Japs would find out he could talk english. Years later he was still a loner. He didnt speak much to anybody, but he was alive.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:02 on 13th May 2008

Sue---besides the numerous resources available to family historians, and little bit of luck and persistance helps too. The luck I had was in relation to large families going back to the days of textile mills in West Yorks and the family members surrounding one of them, and who some of the notable people were, one of them being a Lt. of Horse, i.e. cavalry, killed at Newark in 1643.  Back in the 1100's, my extemely great/grandad was employed by Empress Maud (aka Matilda) who was daughter of King Henry 1st, and after yet another civil war after her father died, she'd fled to France in exile, and had a son who would later become King Henry 2nd; both these kings, of course, being grandsons of William The Conquorer.

My wife wanted her family history done and I discovered her connections to the Parliamentarians during the First Battle of Newbury, 1643. One of her familiy's farms had been used as a hospital during this battle. It really is amazing what turns up that you'd never expect in a million years, or nearly a thousand anyway.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:27 on 13th May 2008
You turned up Paul, you are amazing!

quote | editPosted at 19:39 on 13th May 2008
I second that Ron!! Paul, it is absolutely fantastic that you have been able to delve so far into your (and your wife's) family history. When you find long lost forebears it is as though, in a way, they live again. Wonderful.

quote | editPosted at 19:44 on 13th May 2008
Peter and Lyn, such sad stories, but it all boils down to the age old sin, Man's inhumanity to man.
L
L
quotePosted at 22:13 on 13th May 2008
I've tried and tried but can't get very far back with my ancestors, I seem to come to a dead end, especially with my Grandfather on my Mums side as he was bought up in an orphanage.Frown

quote | editPosted at 22:40 on 13th May 2008

Do you have any idea about the name of the orphanage Lyn? There are bound to be records preserved somewhere.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:39 on 14th May 2008

Only just been able to catch up here and would like to say thanks to Peter and Sue G-R for their opinions of me!

And Lyn, was the following mean't to be a joke? You wrote >>>I've tried and tried but can't get very far back with my ancestors, I seem to come to a dead end...Probably not mean't as a joke, but how easy it is to use a few words that could mean something entirely different.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 16:58 on 14th May 2008
Ron, would we have opinions of you? We are all open minded on here. He he he.
L
L
quotePosted at 20:05 on 14th May 2008
On 14th May 2008 09:39, Ron Brind wrote:

And Lyn, was the following mean't to be a joke? You wrote >>>I've tried and tried but can't get very far back with my ancestors, I seem to come to a dead end...Probably not mean't as a joke, but how easy it is to use a few words that could mean something entirely different.

Oh very funny Ronald, took me a while to work out what you meant but got there in the end LOL

Sue....yes its Dr Barnardo's, and they were the ones that named him when they took him in. I will investigate and see if they come up with anything. (Now lets see if Ron reads something into that too lol Wink