Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Farnborough Hall 15 June 2011

Farnborough

in the county of Warwickshire

Sheffield

Sheffield

in the county of South Yorkshire

Autumn View of the 5 Arch Bridge & Gothic Temple at Painshill Park in Cobham, Surrey

Cobham

in the county of Surrey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Fawley Family Tree

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Alicia Fawley
Alicia Fawley
quotePosted at 05:58 on 25th September 2013

I have been able to trace my family tree back to a Robert Fawley born around 1682 in or around Yorkshire England.   He married Sarah Wood Round 1710. Together they had atleast one child born around 1720 his name is John. I believe John was born in Virginia, USA.  I am trying to find Robert Fawley's parents  and Sarah Wood's too.

I do have Sarah's parents as being William and Elizabeth Wood but this may or may not be right. Any help would be great.

Thank you

Alicia

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:08 on 25th September 2013

Hi Alicia and welcome to POE.

According to the figures lots are looking at this thread for you, but sadly no response yet. I hope you get lucky soon.

Keep looking in and maybe comment in other threads, because we do have members who may be able to help you.

Alicia Fawley
Alicia Fawley
quotePosted at 01:52 on 26th September 2013

That would be wonderful.

Thank you

Alicia 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 09:48 on 26th September 2013
Hi Alicia--not many Historians about yet--here is a Geneology site i have used to my advantage it may be helpful to you.http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:57 on 5th October 2013

I think the area you are refering to is Normanton, West Yorkshire where the family came from. I believe they married on 29 July 1705 and had several children, John being the youngest of them born late 1719 into 1720 and died 11 June 1803 and buried at the New Jerusalem Cemetery, Loundon, Virginia.

Robert died in Oct 1724 and was buried in All Saints church, Normanton where he and Sarah were married. When Sarah married, she was living at the nearby village of Altofts. She was baptised 28 Sept 1679 at All Saints, Normanton.

On 11 Feb 1735, John's older sister Sarah married George Fletcher at All Saints, Normanton. 

Sarah's parents William Wood and Elizabeth Barker ?? William seems to have a brother Charles Wood married to Frances who are having several children as well, and they too are at Altofts.

Normanton ( from Norman Town?) is a few miles north east of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, and Altofts is less than a mile from Normanton.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th October 2013 06:58
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 05:01 on 6th October 2013

Robert and Sarah's children/ John's older siblings from 1706 onwards I believe are, in order of birth---William, Timothy ( buried at Normanton, 1760 married Ann Wigan), Mary, Robert (  married Jane Morton), Sarah ( married George as above), Joshua. 

I think the question is likely now, when/how did John end up going to the Colonies and did anyone else go with him? I think he went alone or with a first wife ( unknown) at best. To Virginia via Maryland so likely arrived in Baltimore. Wife Ann Marie Ault I think is his second wife or else he was a bachelor for around 40 years?

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th October 2013 06:51
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:44 on 6th October 2013
Well done Paul and thanks for helping Alicia.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:02 on 6th October 2013

Several references have John Fawley born 1720  in Virginia, the son of Thomas Fawley who married Mary Fretwell in Cawthorne, Yorkshire.

This scenario must now imply that it was John's parents who immigrated; had John in 1720 then returned to Cawthorne where his mother died 24 June, 1736, leaving John as a teenager behind in Virginia.

Alicia Fawley
Alicia Fawley
quotePosted at 03:31 on 20th October 2013

Thank you Paul Hilton for your assistance...this is great information I do appreciate it dearly.

Sherry Fritzsche
Sherry Fritzsche
quotePosted at 00:25 on 13th June 2015
Looking for any information on these surnames; Bainbridge,Drum, Williams.  My grandfather; Delevan Claude Drum-born in U.S.A.. 1888, this is the only date I have.  His father was Charles Burnette Drum, also born in the states,  his father was ( Delevan Claude Drum )  This is 3 generations, all born in the states, in Nebraska, I know the name traces back to Scotland.  E'stella Williams-my grandfather's mother, her father was Richard Williams and her mother was Anna Williams (they both had the same surname, but weren't related that I know of)  Defenitly an English surname.  The Delevan in the ( ) his mother was Anna Redfern which I believe is Scottish.  Are you confused yet?  Bainbridge line;  my grandmother, Gertrude Bainbridge, born in Neb., U.S.A. 1888, her father was Charles Emmett Bainbridge, born in the stated, his father Jacob Bainbridge, born in England.  I have many surnames that trace back to Great Britain.  Any info is appreciated.