Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Cathedral, Derby

Derby

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

looking for francis norton and john bright.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

jofromaus
jofromaus
quotePosted at 07:40 on 5th May 2012

im looking for information on my grandfather, francis james norton born in brentford about 1902 and died in romford in 1944. i have no information on his parents. he married florence ann bright in bere regis, dorset, in 1931. 

im also after any information on my g grandfather john (micheal?) bright. born in 1851 and died in shitterton in 1928.  he married sarah ann bright (brown) in 1887, 2nd marriage. i have no information on any parents or siblings.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:18 on 5th May 2012
Hang on in there Jo for somebody will be around to help you I know!
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:29 on 6th May 2012

Jofromaus, Have you tried searching the 1911 UK census ? It can be searched for free to provide basic information, and full transcripts of the records are available at a small cost. 

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

jofromaus
jofromaus
quotePosted at 03:26 on 7th May 2012
thanks edward, i have looked there and lots of other sites ive been searching for them for about 3 years, but so far nothing. was hoping one of the clever members maybe able to help me out.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:09 on 7th May 2012

A clever member indeed! LOL

Where are you Paul? No offence to all others who have helped out in the past of course...

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:16 on 7th May 2012

I'm surprised you had no luck, jofromaus. I typed your ancestor's details into the 1911 census and it gave an immediate hit ---

Francis J Norton, Born Brentford 1903.

If you need more info as to his parents and siblings, you will need to buy credits (not expensive).

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:37 on 7th May 2012

Just to get started---in 1911 Francis is with his family visiting his grandma Elizabeth Hartley ( b.1837 Marylebone, London) in Chiswick where he and his two sisters were born and recorded by the Brentford Registrar.

Dad was James Norton b. 1854 in Athlone, Ireland and he'd married Florence Elizabeth Hartley (b. 1867 Islington, London) in Brentford, 1889.(probably Chiswick actually).  Francis' two sisters are Elizabeth b. 1890 and Elsie b. 1895 from Chiswick as mentioned.

When Francis got married in 1931 in Brentford, his wife's name appears as Annie Bright, with Florence omitted. Dorset????

The Dorset marriage is the one of Sarah Ann Brown and John Bright in 1887.

Francis  Norton was born in 1902, from July to Sept dates. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:7th May 2012 11:57
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:03 on 7th May 2012
My goodness, Paul, you are a veritable cornucopia of information. Perhaps I should have kept quiet ! Laughing
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 12:43 on 7th May 2012

The case of John Bright is interesting and why it might not be easy to find him in the Census's---where he does appear under his incorrect name of John Rawles with his Rawles family and here's why; when he was born his mother wasn't married but later on married John's father thus----

John Bright, baptised in 1853 and mother stated as Ann Elizabeth Bright (b.1826) so kept his mother's name because she's not married. His father was Richard Rawles ( presumably) and he and Ann married in 1854 and John's brothers and sisters are shown correctly as Rawles, but they put down John as Rawles as well, and not his birth name of Bright when census time came around.

John's 1851 birth certificate would make interesting reading what was, or wasn't, put down. Richard Rawles may well be his father, but its not 100% certain, but they covered up he was born illigitimately by putting him down as John Rawles instead of his birth name of John Bright as put down by the vicar when he was baptised around 2 years old.

When John Bright married, he and Sarah Brown had 10 children, one of whom passed away as recently as 2003. 

By his first wife, Mary Sexey (1841-1886) who he married in 1874, they had at least two children--Harry b.1879 and Ada May b.1881. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:7th May 2012 13:18
jofromaus
jofromaus
quotePosted at 15:06 on 7th May 2012

wow, thank you paul, u r a gem.

florence ann bright was known as Annie. This helps me so much. it will keep me going for a while.