Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Cobham, Surrey

Cobham

in the county of Surrey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Find and book your UK hotels and accommodation here!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 12:01 on 21st March 2009
On 21st March 2009 02:55, Ruth Gregory wrote:

Hi Debbie:  I think driving in London would be a nightmare.  You definitely don't need a car there.  The public transportation system is fantastic.  They have people-moving down to a science.  What I would suggest would be to order an Oyster card.  It's the public transportation pass for the London buses and subways.  You can order a card worth say £10 and they just swipe it whenever you use it and you can add more money to it if need be.  I ordered ours from visitbritain.com. 

One more suggestion - I think I might take a train to a smaller city or town and rent a car there.  I wouldn't want to try driving in London at all, especially since it takes a while to get used to the reversal of things like the drivers seat, the left side of the road, etc.  And the streets in London are super narrow.

Hi Ruth,

That is really a good idea.  I have not thought of that, How do you think it would be having to use the train and having several pcs of luggage? I have looked at that Oyster card glad you brought that up i was wondering if that was a good idea so i will do that for sure.

The driving on the "wrong" side does not scare me its all the congestion i dont like and i have heard like you said its really bad in London so thanks for the advice.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:24 on 21st March 2009

I would NEVER drive in London, and I lived in England most of my life. You need nerves of steele, and I, like Ruth, I would never suggest a visitor from America try driving there unless they were really (I mean REALLY) confident drivers.

I wouldn't want to travel the trains with lots of luggage, but that's just me. They do have luggage racks through out the trains. If you are just taking day trips out of London, or a couple of days, but staying with the same hotel/motel, you could leave your luggage there and just take an overnight bag.  

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 16:15 on 21st March 2009

Hi Debbie:  I think the key is "travel light."  You'll be surprised if you really think it thru, how you can pare down you luggage.  If you can do with one suitcase each, it shouldn't be to cumbersome, as long as it isn't too heavy to lift.  We were there for 17 days, and a week of that was in Ireland.  We flew on Ryanair between England and Ireland and they had a 33 lb. weght restriction on bags unless you wanted to pay thru the nose, so we made sure our bags were 33 lbs., even though the morning we left we were dumping stuff we "just had to have with us" and we really didn't need it after all.  It helped that we rented an apt. in Fulford for a week that had a washer dryer.  One of the first things any travel expert will tell you is that no matter what your mode of transportation, you'll have a much more enjoyable trip if you're not "weighted down."

Sue's right, the trains and buses have luggage racks, but you still don't want to have to schlep too much around.

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 23:51 on 21st March 2009

LOL, Thats what my husband keeps saying to me  "travel light" I really do try but i keep adding  and before i know it another case, Embarassed But i will try because my poor husband has to handle the suite cases mostly himself so my plan is to do better this time. I know you guys are right about driving in London so i dont think we will try it.;-)

If anyone has any suggestions on places to stay in Devon and Cornwall around those areas let me know i am making a list.  Thanks Hope everyone is having  a great day!!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:40 on 22nd March 2009
Debbie, whatever you decide upon you will save money by booking securely online via POE.....and it helps to support this great website!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:00 on 22nd March 2009

if Devon or Cornwall is your preferred choice debbie, stay in devon its central to all that area, hire a car there or use public transport. You will find it easier to travel to london by rail or cheaper by bus, this way you can totaly relax and leave your luggage at your hotel/B&B'Cottage/Caravan/Mobile home. (a mobile home is a large static 'trailor' on a holiday 'trailor' park. These are a good place to stay if your are sightseeing in a rented car. they are well equipped, inexpensive and a great way of getting to know other people. plus you can eat when and what you like. Theres lots to do and see in devon and its right next to the county of Cornwall. south Wales is just a couple of hours drive away over the 'bridge'. Heres what I would do if you have decided you are going to that area. 

Fly into the uk. train to Devon destination. Hire car. Hire trailor (Mobile Home) on selected park. leave luggage in 'trailor' whilst traveling around daily then going back to 'trailor in the eves. Most Parks have a Bar with entertainment provided, ideal to meet people over a glass of beer/wine. They will usually suguest places to visit. Go up to London for a couple of days, staying at a B&B (Leave luggage at 'Trailor Park' travel light. The cotswolds are also easy to drive to from Devon. So to summrize, you have the North and south coast beaches and the roling hills and Cheddar George, Whookey Hole etc of Devon. then the rugged landscape of Cornwall close-by, or the nearby South Wales. Another day a drive to the Cotswold villages. another couple of days up to London. 

hope this has helped but I'm dissapointed you havnt come to the North of England, maybe some day lol Enjoy your visit.

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 17:06 on 22nd March 2009

Hi Michael,

That was so helpful, Thats what i need to know where a good central location is so thanks so much for all the info, I really do want to go north i would love to see Yorkshire so we are going to see how the days go and see if we can make it up that way for at least a couple of days, we are just going to go along and see what time permits us to do. I just want to see as much as i can .  What part of the North are you in ?

What is the travel time from Devon to Yorkshire?

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 03:23 on 13th August 2010

Hello everyone  Does anyone know if there are any hotels in or near Battle, East Sussex that have an elevator (lift)?  Every time I tried to inquire I got OOPS! this link is broken.  I don't actually know what a guesthouse is...is it a private home that accepts visitors?  Some people over here do that for extra income because they may have a home near an historic site such as a Civil War battlefield, Colonial Williamsburg (kept as it was in the 18th C. even the costumes they wore).  I can no longer climb a staircase due to arthritic knees.  I realize that will prevent me from seeing some wonderful places  in England, but I have to accommodate to it.

Whatever info you can provide me will be much appreciated.  Ron,  I'm so happy you are keeping Clive Staples Lewis's great legacy alive.  I am of the same Faith he converted to~also a convert.  So is my husband.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:14 on 13th August 2010

Have you looked through the POE website Linda? I know Chris and Sarah have been working on identifying what amenities are available at all Hotels, Guest House's and B&B's throughout POE. Further, if you book online through POE it helps to keep the site funded.

A UK Guest House is similar to a B&B in that it is likely to be a smaller operation than a hotel. If anything the B&B is generally smaller still and quite often a couple of rooms in a house as you suggest, but that said there are some very nice B&B's throughout the UK.

As for 'Jack' (C S Lewis) he is bearly recognised here in Oxford, or yet the UK. How unbelievable is that?

Scarlet Reynolds
Scarlet Reynolds
quotePosted at 10:38 on 1st February 2011

LOL, Thats what my husband keeps saying to me  "travel light" I really do try but i keep adding  and before i know it another case, Embarassed But i will try because my poor husband has to handle the suite cases mostly himself so my plan is to do better this time. I know you guys are right about driving in London so i dont think we will try it.;-)

If anyone has any suggestions on places to stay in Devon and Cornwall around those areas let me know i am making a list.  Thanks Hope everyone is having  a great day!!

Hi Debbie, my name is Scarlet. I think you might want to try staying at Old Quay House. It is a comfortably chic, luxury hotel in Cornwall with a tremendous reputation. At Old Quay House you will get to enjoy the stunning views of the harbour. You can take your lunch, afternoon snacks as well as pre and post dinner drinks in their waterside terrace which is a the perfect place to soak up estuary life as it unfolds before your eyes.

For those wanting to book hotel accommodation in Fowey, Cornwall the following link will provide full details and you will get your accommodation cheaper by booking through this website whilst supporting POE http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Cornwall/Fowey/hotels

Edited by: Ron Brind at:1st February 2011 11:05
 Please login to post to this thread...