Pictures of Condover
Take a picture tour of Condover..
A quiet and peaceful place, its pretty properties protected from the traffic that speeds down the main A49, Condover lies seemingly undisturbed by the passage of time.
The beautiful church of St.Mary and St.Andrew has stood here for many centuries. The original Norman north transept remains but the rest of the building dates after the 17th-century including the west tower which is castellated and caries a clock face. The interior of the church is finely adorned with many monuments including one dating 1746.
Condover Hall is a magnificent gabled and mullioned Elizabethan house built in the traditional 'E' style. It is of pink stone and is noted for the artistry of the mason responsible-Walter Hancock, a stonemason from Much Wenlock. Mr. Hancock built the Hall for Judge Thomas Owen, a rich merchant who unfortunately died before completion of the property in 1598. At one time the house belonged to the Cholmondeley family and Mark Twain is known to have been entertained here on visits in 1873 and 1879. This gracious property has been the subject for many artists, and was drawn by the Birmingham pen and ink artist Will A. Green(1907-1983) in the 1930's. The house is now a school for the blind.
Other attractive places to visit in the region include Cantlop Bridge, Attingham Park owned by the NT and the county town of Shrewsbury which has a museum recalling the history of the area.
Nearby towns & villages..
in the county of Shropshire(3.3 miles, 5.4 km, direction SE of Condover)
Interestingly, Acton Burnell has connections with America that go back to the stirring days of the Declaration of Independence in 1776...
a Historic Market Town in the county of Shropshire(4.0 miles, 6.4 km, direction N of Condover)
Shrewsbury is a wonderfully atmospheric town which beguiles the visitor with sights of bygone centuries and much a great charm is to be found in its narrow streets and medieval buildings...
in the county of Shropshire(9.4 miles, 15.1 km, direction S of Condover)
Little Stretton lies in a charming rural area a short distance from the old town of Church Stretton...
in the county of Shropshire(11.4 miles, 18.4 km, direction E of Condover)
This town is named for the famous bridge that spans the River Severn - the world's first Iron Bridge....
in the county of Shropshire(15.6 miles, 25.2 km, direction S of Condover)
The village of Stokesay lies amid the soft rolling fields and wooded valley's of shropshire...All towns in ShropshireComplete A to Z of towns in England
Nearby attractions.. (3.8 miles, 6.1 km, direction SE)
Although crenulated, the spectacular red sandstone ruins of Acton Burnell speak more of a grandiose place of comfort rather than..... (4.0 miles, 6.5 km, direction N)
.. (4.1 miles, 6.6 km, direction N)
The site of Shrewsbury Abbey is an ancient one, quite possibly dating back to Saxon times when a wooden church would have stood..... (4.3 miles, 6.9 km, direction NE)
An elegant 18th century mansion with regancy interiors and deer park, Attingham Park is of the great houses of the..... (4.6 miles, 7.5 km, direction N)
.. (4.7 miles, 7.5 km, direction E)
Wroxeter Roman City lies about 5 miles south-east of Shrewsbury, here lies the remains of what was the fourth largest town in..... (6.7 miles, 10.7 km, direction NE)
These magnificent remains of an Augustinian Abbey founded by William Fitzalan in about 1135, occupy a beautiful setting in the.....All attractions in CondoverAll attractions in ShropshireComplete A to Z of attractions in England