Pictures of Blyth
Take a picture tour of Blyth..
Within twenty miles of Newcastle, the resort of Blyth sits beside the estuary of the River Blyth, a short distance from where the water meets with the sea. It is an attractive old place, with a long seafaring history, the port of Blyth is believed to date back to the 12th-century but it did not become important until the 18th-century, when coal began to be shipped from the quay. A thriving salt industry was also in operation at this time but the decline of salt which began towards the middle of the 19th-century finally came to an abrupt end when the last saltpan was destroyed in 1876.
Coal continued to bring prosperity to Blyth, it also began to open up with a ship building industry, and during World War One and Two it under-took major production of ship's for the Admiralty. The town is proud of its ship building heritage, which includes the building of the first aircraft carrier H.M.S. Ark Royal in 1914. It was a sad day for the community when the industry folded in 1967.
Fishing has been a major source of revenue in the town, and this with other allied trades continues to this day. The port was modernised in 2003 and continues to play a major role in the prosperity of the town. It is also the home of the Royal Northumberland Yacht Club which welcomes visitors all the year round.
South of the harbour there is a safe sandy beach frequently used for sunbathing and swimming by local residents and visitors to the town.
Blyth, with its new, exciting harbour decorated with modern sculptures, makes an interesting destination from which to explore the City of Newcastle and the heritage of old Tyneside industries.
Nearby towns & villages..
in the county of Northumberland(4.0 miles, 6.4 km, direction N of Blyth)
The bay is a major attraction, often lively with fishing cobbles and pleasure craft, it is also a haven for sun-bathers...
in the county of Tyne & Wear(7.2 miles, 11.6 km, direction SE of Blyth)
Cullercoats has many pleasing aspects including a picturesque 19th century church in a commanding position close to the shoreline...
in the county of Tyne & Wear(10.3 miles, 16.5 km, direction S of Blyth)
This is the town that is famous for the 1930's "Hunger March" caused by the intense poverty that followed the closing of the Charles Palmer shipyard. The last of the surviving marchers, Cornelius Whalen died in 2003 at the age of 93...
a Historic City in the county of Tyne & Wear(11.2 miles, 18.1 km, direction S of Blyth)
This important City was known as Pons Aelii in Roman times; the Romans built the first bridge over the River Tyne, it was guarded by a Roman fort which was replaced by a castle.....
in the county of Northumberland(14.1 miles, 22.7 km, direction W of Blyth)
This is an historic village, it took its name from a Baron de Bolam in the 13th century...All towns in NorthumberlandComplete A to Z of towns in England
Nearby attractions.. (3.1 miles, 5.0 km, direction S)
This house with its beautiful baroque work and wonderful ionic columns is the work of a man who was both inventive playwright and..... (8.3 miles, 13.3 km, direction SE)
.. (8.6 miles, 13.8 km, direction SE)
The haunting, intermingaled ruins of Tynemouth Castle and Priory stand on a headland above the River Tyne. Between them they..... (9.1 miles, 14.6 km, direction S)
.. (11.1 miles, 17.9 km, direction S)
On returning from a raid into Scotland, Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror built a castle calling it his `New..... (11.7 miles, 18.8 km, direction S)
The magnificent cathedral church of St. Nicholas has stood at the heart of Newcastle for many centuries. Its superb lantern..... (11.7 miles, 18.9 km, direction S)
The Baltic Centre is a new £46m art gallery on the banks of the Tyne and is the latest evidence of the area's growing cultural.....All attractions in BlythAll attractions in NorthumberlandComplete A to Z of attractions in England